3.12.2013

French Onion Soup Pasta

I love french onion soup. LOVE IT. My favorite? T.G.I.Fridays. It's delicious. I also love pasta... a bowl of carbs? HECK YES! So when I saw a pin on Pinterest for french onion soup pasta, I pinned it. When I went back to make it, I looked at the recipe and became very sad... it  called for french onion soup packets... there were no real onion anywhere in that recipe. Super sad face. It was a fantastic idea but it was not what I had in mind, so I set out to make my own recipe. This is what I came up with. I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 med/large yellow onions roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves chopped or grated
1/2 tsp salt
1 14.5 oz can of beef broth
3/4 C of red wine
2 C half and half
2 C mozzarella cheese
Pasta of your choice (1 box)

Cook pasta of your choice. We used mafalda noodles, but I think a fettuccine noodle would be good too.

Start by heating up the butter and olive oil in a large pan. Once heated, add chopped onions to the pan. Allow the onions to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Once onions begin to caramelize, add garlic. I used a micro-plane and grated my garlic cloves right in to the pan. Otherwise, just make sure that your garlic is finely chopped.

Once onions are fully caramelized add red wine to the pan and scrape all of the onion goodness off the bottom of the pan as you stir in the wine. Then add one can of beef broth and salt. Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the half and half and 3/4 cup of cheese.


 Stir together and then incorporate the precooked pasta. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the pasta and put it under the boiler until cheese begins to brown.


Enjoy!

No comments: